Monday, June 13, 2011

Guacamole Salad

I have been such a slacker.  A blogger-slacker.  We've been trying so many new recipes around here & most of them have been really delicious.  Which means I have a lot of recipes to share, but summer has kept me busy & away from my computer.  Wait...nope.  I'm lying.  I've become an addicted member of Pinterest- which is becoming a real problem.  I can't get anything done.  So really, I have not been away from my computer.  I guess that means I'm just a slacker.  My excuses have come full-circle.

Anyways, I love this salad.  I really do not like the usual potato salad/macaroni salad fare that is usually served at barbeques.  I don't like mayo...it's just gross.  So this is my subsitution.  In the dead of winter, I'll ask hubby to grill just so I have an excuse to make this salad.  I got one of the Barefoot Contessa's cookbooks for Christmas a couple of years ago & this is the only page in the book that is dirty & spotted from use. 

 I'd also like to talk about Ina Garten.  Yes, she's hauty.  Yes, she always wears a popped collar.  Yes, her house is amazing.  Yes, she "pretends" to garden, when I know she has a gardener.  And Yes, her friends are all really annoying.  BUT, and a big BUT...she is an amazing cook & an amazing recipe-writer.  So I'm willing to over look all of the annoying parts of her show because she delivers.  EVERY TIME.


{Guacamole Salad}
recipe compliments of The Barefoot Contessa

1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and 1/2-inch diced
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup small diced red onion
2 tablespoons minced jalapeno peppers, seeded (2 peppers)
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (2 limes)
1/4 cup good olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
2 ripe Hass avocados, seeded, peeled, and 1/2-inch diced

Place the tomatoes, yellow pepper, black beans, red onion, jalapeno peppers, and lime zest in a large bowl. Whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, salt, black pepper, garlic, and cayenne pepper and pour over the vegetables. Toss well.
Just before you're ready to serve the salad, fold the avocados into the salad. Check the seasoning and serve at room temperature.

Tip: I just throw the avocado in.  The lime juice keeps them from browning.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds delicious and perfect for summer! Ditto what you said about Ina! :)

    ReplyDelete