Saturday, January 21, 2012

Guacamole

I've been wanting to try making my own guacamole for a while now.  Every time I've had the opportunity to make some- the avocados at the grocery store are like the size of pebbles & hard as rocks.  So I was very happily surprised when I actually went to the store to buy some & they were really good. 

So onto dinner:  we decided to make quesadillas with the guac & chips. 

This is the huge plate of food I consumed:

quesadilla recipe here

After eating half of the guac out of the bowl, I ate 2 whole quesadillas & a TON of guacamole & chips (they were baked- so I feel a little bit better about the situation.)  The thing is... I was STILL hungry.  SO I asked my hubby to make me another quesadilla.  He said no. He said I had eaten enough.  I was mad.  Really mad.  I went on this rampage about withholding food from preggo people & how mean it was...blah, blah, blah.

About 10 minutes later- I was rolling around on the floor with this huge stomach yelling "help me!, help me...my stomach is blowing up"  My hubby just stood overtop of me shaking his head.  Eating the rest of the guacamole.  Lesson learned.

Anyways, this guacamole was really fresh tasting & spicy.  We really liked it.  I've found that guac stays better longer if you rub the inside of the container with a cut lime (thank you Pinterest for the tip.)  With the Super Bowl coming up...we'll be making this again soon.

{Guacamole}

3 ripe avocadoes; peeled & pitted
Juice of 1 lime (I added a little more- I like lime)
1/4 cup finely minced red onion
3 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
1 jalepeno; seeded & ribs removed; finely chopped
1 clove garlic; minced
1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Halve the avocado & remove the pit by gently hiting the pit with a large, sharp knife & twisting the pit out.  Remove the avocado from the skin.  In a bowl, combine the avocado & mash it with a fork (to your desired consistency- we like rather chunky guac.)  Mix in remaining ingredients. 

Rub inside of the container it's being stored in with the cut lime.  Cover & let sit for about 1 hour prior to serving.  Serve with chips!


Enjoy!
 

1 comment: