Friday, July 1, 2011

Creamy Avocado Chicken Salad

My hubby looked at this dinner and said "why are you trying to feed me this bird food as our dinner."  As I've said before, he's a meat & potatoes kind of guy...this was a little to "light" for him.  We both really like this recipe, but I've always made it as an appetizer never as our dinner (ok- I was really lazy & didn't feel like going to the store on the Friday before the 4th of July)  I can say from experience that this recipe pairs really well with a good crisp glass of white wine- not that I'd know or anything. 

{Creamy Avocado Chicken Salad}
Adapted by me, I have no idea where I got this recipe...
but it's changed & changed & changed into this final product

1 cup of rotisserie chicken; shredded
1/2 cup corn (I use canned corn- again, lazy)
1/2 cup black beans; drained & rinsed
1/4 cup chopped green onion
1/4 cup cilantro
1/2 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
1/2 cup crushed crispy jalapeno slices (I use fresh gourmet brand)
2 Tablespoons white vinegar
4 Tablespoons Mayo
2 teaspoons sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt & pepper
4 avocados; sliced in half & pit removed
Panko bread crumbs
Olive oil cooking spray


In a medium bowl, combine the chicken, corn, black beans, green onion, cilantro, cherry tomatoes & crispy jalapeno slices.  Whisk together mayo, vinegar, sugar, salt & pepper.  Slice the avocados & make the pit area a little bigger.  Spoon the chicken mixture into the avocado halves.  Preheat oven broiler to high.  Sprinkle the chicken mixture with a small amount of panko.  Place under broiler for approximately 30 seconds.  *Tip: the idea is to crisp the panko, not warm the chicken mixture.  It should be served at room temperature.


1 comment: