Sunday, August 19, 2012

Green Smoothie



Who really likes raw spinach?  I mean I can pretend to like it, but if it' s not covered in salad dressing, accompanied by feta or goat cheese... puh-lease.  I'd rather eat a hot dog- and I absolutely cannot stand hot dogs.  So there. 

Even though I don't really like raw spinach- this smoothie is amazing.  I got this recipe off of Pinterest- and the weird thing is, it's not really green.  I've tried and tried to make it green by adding more & more spinach- but it still turns out kind of a pink-ish green-ish purple-ish color.  Oh well, who really cares about the color.  This smoothie is awesome...and so full of nutrients. 

Let me review:
1. Spinach: contains lots of fiber- great for digestive health.  Contains flavonoids -- a phytonutrient with anti-cancer properties has been shown to slow down cell division in human stomach and skin cancer cells. Furthermore, spinach has shown significant protection against the occurrence of aggressive prostate cancer.  Lots of other vitamins- vitamin C, vitamin E, beta-carotene, manganese, zinc and selenium present in spinach all serve as powerful antioxidants that combat the onset of osteoporosis, atherosclerosis and high blood pressure. Eating one cup of spinach contributes to this process that fights atherosclerosis, cardiovascular disease and stroke.   And so much more.  Just google "benefits of spinach."

2.  Mango:  Also contains flavonoids which protect against  various cancers.  Mangoes have high levels of fiber, pectin and vitamin C which help to lower serum cholesterol levels, specifically Low-Density Lipoprotein (the bad stuff.)  Mangos have been shown to hlep clear clogged pores and eliminate pimples.  One cup of sliced mangoes supplies 25 percent of the needed daily value of vitamin A, which promotes good eyesight and prevents night blindness and dry eyes.

3.  Blueberries:  The highest antioxidant capacity of all fresh fruit.  Neutralizes free radicals which can affect disease and aging in the body.  Blueberries have also been known to reduce belly fat, reduce cardiovascular risks & have also been know to increase urinary tract health. 

4. Raspberries:  loaded with antioxidants, fiber, vitamins & minerals. 

5. Greek Yogurt:  lower in added sugars & higher in protein than other types of yogurt.  Also good for your gut.

6. Banana: good source of Potassium and vitamin B6, has been shown to decrease risks of kidney cancer & is good for stomach health. 

See?  I'm not crazy...this smoothie is good for you.  And VERY filling.  I make a huge batch of the green weird pink-purple color stuff and freeze it in an ice cube tray.  I don't measure, I just throw all the ingredients in- and I'd be lying if I said I always stick to just this list.  Sometimes I add peaches if the mangos don't look good at the store.  Sometimes I add lemon juice.  It's kind of a free-for-all.  Then I just throw the cubes in my blender with some water, ice cubes & the greek yogurt...makes for easy mornings! 

{clearly I was using blackberries instead of blueberries this time}

No comments:

Post a Comment