Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Chocolate Cream Pie

This recipe comes from my mother-in-law Becky.  This is my hubby's favorite, FAVORITE dessert.  This is my go-to recipe if he needs some "cheering up," I need to say "I'm sorry" or if I'm just feeling like being a good wife.  At one time, my mother-in-law told me I make it better than she does.  Needless to say...I kept very quiet* because she does make a good pie.





{Chocolate Cream Pie}
recipe compliments of Becky Griffin

One baked pie crust
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons unsweetened Hersheys cocoa
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 cups milk
3 egg yolks (save the whites for the meringue)
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Meringue topping *see below for recipe

To make filling:
Stir together in saucepan sugar, flour, salt, cocoa & oil.  Add milk & gradually stir mixture over medium heat.  Gradually add eggs; heat & whisk until mixture thickens (this may take awhile.)  Once the mixture is a pudding-like consistency, remove from heat.  Add butter & vanilla; stir until well mixed.  Pour into cooked & cooled pie crust.  Immediately top with Meringue & bake at 375 degrees for approx. 10 minutes or until meringue is browned.

{Meringue Recipe}
recipe compliments of Betty Crocker

3 egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 tablespoons sugar

In medium bowl, beat vanilla, egg whites & cream of tartar until soft peaks form (about 2 minutes.)  Add sugar 1 tablespoon at a time.  Beat on high until large peaks form & meringue is stiff & glossy (about 5 minutes.)

Spoon meringue over pie, bake at 375 degrees until meringue is browned.
Cool & place in refridgerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment